Influencers Of Multan | IOM

Iran US blockade threat grows after talks fail

High-quality landscape view of US warships and oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz during Iran US blockade tensions

Loading

Iran threatens military action to break US naval blockade as peace talks collapse

Tensions in the Middle East have climbed higher after a senior Iranian official warned that Tehran is ready to launch a precise military attack against the American naval presence if diplomacy fails. The warning came on Monday as both sides missed the deadline for a permanent peace deal.

Iran and the United States had signed a memorandum of understanding in June that was supposed to end the fighting within 60 days. The agreement called for an immediate stop to military operations and talks on Iran’s nuclear programme and sanctions. That deal fell apart over control of the Strait of Hormuz. Iran claims the document gives it the right to manage the waterway. The United States rejects that reading. Hostilities restarted when Iranian forces began firing on ships that tried to pass through routes Tehran had not approved.

President Donald Trump made clear on Monday that Washington will not extend the temporary ceasefire. “No,” he replied when asked about any extension. He also repeated that his main goal remains preventing Iran from ever obtaining nuclear weapons. In a separate remark, Trump warned that if Oman interferes with American plans for the strait, the United States would respond with force.

Oil markets continue to feel the impact. Brent crude has stayed elevated since the conflict began in late February, when the United States and Israel struck targets inside Iran. Prices briefly reached 126 dollars a barrel earlier in the war and were trading near 89 dollars on Monday. Trump told supporters last week to prepare for high fuel costs and even floated the idea of declaring the Strait of Hormuz American territory once the fighting ends.

The conflict has already claimed thousands of lives, mostly in Iran and Lebanon. Iran has struck American bases and infrastructure across several Gulf countries. Meanwhile, Iran-backed Houthi forces in Yemen attacked what they described as a Saudi military vessel and its escorts in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, raising fresh fears of a wider regional war.

Iran says it is still talking with Oman about joint management of the strait and claims progress is near. Yet the Iranian official stressed that Tehran has set a short deadline for the United States to implement every part of the June agreement. If that does not happen, Iran is prepared to escalate in the Strait of Hormuz and beyond.

The situation remains highly unstable, with no clear path back to negotiations and global energy supplies still under threat.

Recent Articles
Share it :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *