Influencers Of Multan | IOM

Tunisia Boat Disaster Leaves 13 Missing

Tunisian coast guard boat rescuing migrants from a small vessel during the Tunisia boat disaster in the Mediterranean Sea

Loading

At least 13 Tunisians remain missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while trying to reach Italy. Two people were rescued, and one of them is in critical condition, according to the head of a local migrant rights group.

Mostafa Abdelkebir, who leads the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, told Reuters that the boat left early on Thursday. One survivor told rescuers from a local vessel that they had been floating for hours after the craft capsized. The second survivor needed urgent medical help.

Tunisia used to be a major starting point for people crossing the Mediterranean. In the last two years, however, the number of departures has dropped sharply. Tighter maritime controls and a broader crackdown, supported by European funding and modern border monitoring equipment especially from Italy, have changed the situation. Officials say these measures have reduced the flow of boats leaving Tunisian shores.

Last month, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and dozens of other rights and humanitarian organizations issued a joint statement. They argued that the EU-Tunisia migration deal has encouraged and normalized serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers inside Tunisia. The groups urged the European Union to stop funding migration and border control activities that involve Tunisian security forces.

Tunisia has not replied directly to that statement. The country has often said it is carrying a heavy burden from the large movement of people. In 2023, President Kais Saied claimed the influx was part of an effort to change Tunisia’s demographic makeup.

The central Mediterranean route remains one of the most dangerous migration paths in the world. People from Africa and the Middle East still try to reach Europe on overcrowded or poorly built boats. Many of these journeys end in tragedy. This latest incident near the Tunisian coast is another reminder of the risks involved.

Rescue teams continue to search for the missing passengers. Families wait for news while rights groups keep calling for safer policies and greater respect for human lives at sea. The sharp fall in departures shows that stronger controls can reduce the number of boats leaving, yet the dangers for those who still attempt the crossing have not disappeared. Every lost boat underscores the urgent need for better protection and more humane approaches to migration across the Mediterranean.

Recent Articles
Share it :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *