Influencers Of Multan | IOM

Trump cuts Trump Korea drills with Seoul

Donald Trump speaking about reducing Trump Korea drills with South Korea, American flags and Korean peninsula map in background

Loading

US President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea just as the annual drills were about to begin. He cited the high cost of the exercises and Seoul’s refusal to join actions against Iran.

Writing on his Truth Social platform hours before the start of the drills, Trump said it was too late to cancel them completely but made clear he was unhappy that the United States had earlier agreed to take part. He also pointed to his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

“These exercises are not only costly but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile to a country that has been unthreatening and respectful,” Trump wrote. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were scheduled to run from August 17 to 27, involving around 18,000 South Korean troops. Officials had said the drills would focus on countering drones, disrupting GPS signals and responding to cyberattacks in line with North Korea’s evolving capabilities.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed that the exercises began as planned on Monday but declined to comment on Trump’s remarks. The presidential office and defence and foreign ministries did not respond immediately, as the country was observing a public holiday. A Pentagon spokesperson referred questions to the White House, which also remained silent on next steps.

Trump has long opposed or sought to scale down military exercises with South Korea, calling them provocative and expensive. He has also clashed with Seoul over the cost of stationing 28,500 US troops in the country. Pyongyang regularly condemns the joint drills as preparation for invasion and recently fired ballistic missiles toward the Sea of Japan.

Analysts suggest Trump may be trying to create space for diplomacy with Kim Jong Un. The relationship between the two leaders has swung between threats and personal warmth over the years, including three summits, yet North Korea has continued developing its nuclear and missile programmes.

Trump also linked the decision to South Korea’s refusal to join US-Israeli efforts related to the denuclearisation of Iran. In recent years the drills have shifted largely to computer simulations rather than large-scale live-fire training. US officials have noted that North Korean forces have gained experience through involvement in the Ukraine conflict, particularly in the use of unmanned systems and electronic warfare.

Recent Articles
Share it :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *